Sunday, September 30, 2007

Mission Accomplished

So, in my last post I discussed the difficulties in finding a gown for my daughters' wedding. And it turned out to be that the first gown I had actually seen (online) and had ordered was actually the best one for me! Last week, I took two of my daughters (stepdaughters, actually, but I hate that term!) shopping for outfits to wear for the wedding. We were successful -- R got a cranberry skirt that has a dropped yoke, comes to just below the knees and has a black net overlay with black velvet flocked floral design on it. We got her a black mock wrap top to wear with it and we need only to buy a cranberry shell to wear under that. D got a black satin taffeta skirt with gussetted inverted pleats that are black lace. A black crochet sweater completes it but we need to find a contrasting color long sleeve shell for her to wear under that. And, while we were shopping for them I spied a chocolate brown silk charmeuse gown that had a brown beaded and crocheted sweater overlay. It is a very open crochet and the beads are tiny little copper beads and there are also tiny little copper sequins. There is a beaded fringe on the bottom of the sweater and at the bottoms of the sleeves, which are a 3/4 length. That outfit was marked size 20W -- but there is no way that sweater would fit a 20W!! I threw the sweater on me just to see the fit and it was perfect. I had this idea that it would look fabulous over the new brown gown that I had already purchased. So, I got an extra gown as well -- that is too big for me but I can turn it into a long skirt, if I wish. As I was walking to the cashier to pay for my purchases I passes a section of shelves holding a collection of evening bags. Amongst those evening bags was one covered in chocolate brown silk, with little copper beads and sequins! It was like made for this outfit. So, I purchased that too!

Now, I must backtrack a bit. Just a few days prior to this I had come home from work, and then took off immediately for Bridgewater, NJ -- a little over an hour away. Why? Beccause Y, my machatenus had asked me if I could please pick up a gown for her there. Apparently, a friend of hers has this gown that she really liked and she was going to borrow it from her friend. But, the gown was too big for her. It was taken to a seamstress to be taken in but the seamstress said she would have to take it apart and re do it as it was WAY too big for her. She noticed the tags were still on the gown so she decided to try calling Loehmanns, the store where it came from, to find out if they might still have one in her size (size 6). They were able to locate one in the Bridgewater store. She then asked to purchase it over the phone using her credit card and to have it shipped to her in laws who live in Pennsauken, NJ. Loehmanns refused, as a matter of policy. No matter how much she begged, they refused. So she asked me to go and get it. They would only old it for 24 hours. So, I went and picked it up. Now, you should know that when I saw the gown it set off in me a flurry of insecurity about mine. Why? Because her gown was gold and glitter and really pretty and she is a size 6!! My gown is brown and not glittery or shiny and I am a size 14! Anyway, even though I was feeling insecure about this and was thinking that maybe I will find a different gown, I happened to spy a pair of shoes that I thought would be perfect for my new brown gown. They were a pump style with a peek toe and a rather high heel. But there was a 1/2 inch platform under the ball fo the shoo so it actually was wearable, and comfortable. The shoes have a cushioned innersole. They were rather inexpensive so I purchased them.

Forward to the sweater purchase. When I got home I tried on my gown, over the crinoline, with the new sweater, shoes and bag. It is PERFECT!! All I need now is a pair of earrings.

Mission almost completely accomplished...

No comments: