Sunday, September 30, 2007

Colds and Coughs, bronchitis

So, this past Chag of Sukkot we spent with Barry's sister Karen in Elizabeth, NJ. It was a really nice visit and I was so glad we went to them. In the past we have always gone when everyone else would be there -- Tammy and co, and Barry's parents. This time it was just us, two of our girls and Karen and co. It made for a much nicer and easier time. We got to have more "quality" time with one another.

Unfortunately, though, little Rena, who is SO cute, had a cold and cough. And I held her alot. And I came home last night with an absolutely miserable cough. It kind of hit me hard and fast. I was coughing all night long and the coughs were to the point of retching. Finally, after hours of this I was feeling like I could not breathe well. I asked Barry to take me to the hospital. Right before we left I threw up. My stomach had not been bothering me at all, before or after. But the coughing induced the retching and ultimately, the vomiting. I actually felt a little bit better after that but I knew it would come back again. So, off we went to the hospital.

It was a quiet night and I was seen immediately. They gave me two prescriptions: one for Tylenol w/Codeine, and the other for a Z-Pac. The Tw/C was for suppressing the coughs and the Z-pac is an antibiotic for what they say is an infection in my throat. I took the Tw/C while I was in the hospital (they only gave me 1 pill #3). They idd not know that I have a very high tolerance for Codeine due to my having taken it so much in my life. I usually need 2 #3 pills to have any effect.

Barry and I went to the pharm immediately to fill the prescriptions and it was fasted filled prescriptions I had ever had -- after all it was 4:45 AM! I came home and took another Tw/C and the first 2 of the Z-pac. Then I lay down on the couch in the LR (I can stay propped up more easily in the couch than in my bed) and tried to sleep. I think I may have gotten 2 hours of sleep. I am going to try to sleep some more a bit later.

I hate this bronchitis!

No comments: