Saturday, January 19, 2008

In Israel for Chloe's Wedding

I have now been in Israel since this past Wednesday. Here are some notes:



  1. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER fly Israir. I had actually flown Israir in the past. It was not good then. But I got suckered into a "cheap" fare. Their planes are the MOST uncomfortable planes ever. They pack us in like sardines in a can. It is HORRIBLE. And worst of all, we have to fly Israir back home -- I am SO not looking forward to that trip.
  2. The apartment we rented is beautiful, and quite large. But it has some very serious design flaws. Let's take the master BR with bath ensuite. The wall between the bathroom and the bedroom is glass. Most of the glass is frosted so it is not completely see through, but the bottom and top of the glass is not frosted. So here are the problems with that:

    • When my husband goes to the bathroom, and I am sitting on the bed reading. I happen to look up and what do I see? My husbands pants down around his ankles! Now, he and I may be married, but what we do in the bathroom is PRIVATE -- and that was actually embarrassing to me! (and him, when I told him).

    • At night one of us may get up to use the bathroom. We turn on the bathroom light and ---- the entire BR get's lit up, thereby waking the other...NOT GOOD!

    • On Shabbat we usually leave a light on in our bathroom. If we did that we would never sleep since the light in the bathroom lights up the bedroom too!

  3. The bathtub in the master bathroom needs a non skid surface or a rubber mat.
  4. The "dood", or water heater is pitiful. You have to turn it on and wait a half an hour for hot water. So, I do that and take a shower. Now, mind you, I am not a long shower taker. But I could not have hot water long enough for my showers. Ugh.
  5. The oven in this kitchen is absurd. It is TINY! And...it can only be on for 90 minutes at a time. It only works when the timer is set. If you do not set the timer, it does not come on. So forget about leaving it on over Shabbat to keep food warm.
  6. The electric circuitry cannot handle too much.
  7. There is an outlet behind the stovetop that is to be used for plugging in the plata. But it is 4 feet away from the front of the counter and up under the cabinet. One must climb onto a chair and perform a contortionist routine in order to reach the outlet and have enough leverage to insert the plug into the outlet!!
  8. We lost power twice: the first time was just as I was about light candles for Shabbat and it was already late! The second time occured in the middle of Shabbat thereby necessitating a change of venue for the Seudat Shlishit/Havdalah. We split into 2 groups: the kids went to Tzippy and Gedaliah's place and the grownups went to the Cottrells rented apartment.

Anyway, I am tired and there IS more to tell but that will have to wait.

No comments: